Document Checklist

Use this handy checklist to figure out the right documentation you would need for the particular loan you are looking for. If you have any questions or need more information, Just click to HERE.

  • Pay stubs covering the most recent 30 day period
  • Verification of any additional income, if applicable W-2 (and/or 1099) forms covering the past 2 years
  • Name, address and phone number of all employers for past 2 years
  • Checking and/or savings account statements for past 2 months (Note: Please include ALL numbered pages. If using a printout from the bank, please have the bank official “sign and stamp” ALL pages)
  • Most recent statement(s) for any investments, 401(k), CD or stock accounts Statements or information pertaining to any outstanding loans/liabilities
  • Residence information for past 2 years, including landlord’s name, address and phone number
  • Fully executed Purchase Contract
  • Clear and legible color copies of your Driver’s License and Social Security card
  • Certificate of Eligibility
  • Either a Statement of Service, or DD214 Discharge Document, as applicable
  • If you own any Real Estate: Mortgage, Property Tax and Homeowners’ Insurance documentation (as well as Lease Agreements for all rental properties owned)
  • If you pay Alimony or Child Support or are using Alimony or Child Support as qualifying income: Divorce Decree or Court Order documenting the amount
  • If you have filed Bankruptcy in the past: Bankruptcy documents, including ALL Schedules and the Letter of Discharge
  • If you own the lot – you are building on: Copy of recorded Warranty Deed
  • If you are a Resident Alien: Valid Resident Alien card
  • Complete (signed) tax returns with all schedules for past 2 years (personal and business)
  • Year-to-date profit and loss statement signed by an accountant
  • Relocation Agreement
  • Employment contract

Warranty Deed for subject property


  • Ask your employer for a duplicate copy; records are kept for 7 years. Request duplicate copies from the company that prepared your tax returns. Tax return transcripts can sometimes be used instead of W-2?s; request a transcript from the IRS using Form 4506T.

Pay Stubs

  • Ask your employer for a duplicate copy, a payroll printout for one month, or a copy of the payroll ledger and canceled checks for one month.

Tax Returns

  • Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. This is an automated system. Follow the teleprompts through the menu. Choose option 2 and then option 2 again. You must have your social security number, the mailing address that was on your last return, daytime phone number and current mailing address ready. You can also use IRS Form 4506 to request a copy of your full tax returns.

Bank Statements

  • Request a full account printout from the bank. Make sure that the bank teller signs and stamps each page of the printout. Or, request a signed verification letter on bank letterhead. Include your name, account number, date account was opened, current balance and two-month average balance. You can also download and send the official statements from your online account portal for added convenience.

Divorce Decree

  • Check with the Attorney or Courthouse where papers were filed and request copies of the final decree.

Warranty Deed

  • Warranty deeds are on file with the county recorder’s office in the county where the property resides. To get a copy, go to the county recorder’s office and request a copy. Often, you will be charged a fee for the copy.